“The possible hepatitis A exposure occurred when an infected employee worked while ill and potentially handled certain items in the store,” the department said on Sunday. The case is believed to be connected to a wider hepatitis A outbreak in the area that has been ongoing since August.
Customers who used the restroom or consumed a fountain drink, fresh fruit or food from the hot food case should contact the county health department to get information about receiving a preventive hepatitis A injection, the release said. Prepackaged items don’t pose a risk of exposure.
“This is an important reminder to food service establishments that they should consider vaccinating their food-handling employees against hepatitis A,” said Salt Lake County Health Department Executive Director Gary Edwards.
“It’s also important the food handlers be conscientious with hygiene, hand washing and not working when ill — and that managers be vigilant in enforcing those important requirements that protect public health.”
The store has since been sanitized, the health department said, and 7-Eleven is cooperating with a health department investigation.
“The health and safety of our customers is our top priority,” 7-Eleven said in a statement. “We are working closely with the Salt Lake County Health Department.”
The statement added that all employees at that location had received a hepatitis A vaccine from the Salt Lake County Health Department.
CNN’s Sandee LaMotte contributed to this report.